Back-to-School-Special—a package deal

kid_image_back_to_schoolLegal documents you need when your kid goes off to college

Parents of college-bound children need to have critical legal documents in place before their kids leave the nest. These legal considerations, like having kids in the first place, are a package deal. Don’t make the mistake of being unprepared in the face of a situation that could affect your child’s health and well-being.

Even though your child is legally considered to be an adult, there may be times when you will want to step in to help. You will not be able to do so unless you have the right documentation. As Mary mentions in her blog post, if your child gets sick or is involved in an accident, medical providers cannot provide you with healthcare information. Similarly, should financial difficulties arise, banks and credit card companies will not disclose details of accounts held in your kid’s name. Contracts for food or housing will also be outside your purview.

For your peace of mind and your child’s security, we’re offering a package deal that includes a health care directive, HIPPA authorization, and power of attorney. Together, these documents allow you to make legal, financial, and medical decisions on behalf of your child.

To learn more, check out our video and blog post or just give us a call.

Legal Considerations as Kids Leave the Nest

Important Documents for College Students Leaving for College

Power of Attorney
Allows parents to make legal and financial decisions on behalf of their child.

Healthcare Directive
Allows parents to make medical decisions for their child if they become incapacitated or unable to make decisions for themselves.

HIPPA Authorization
A signed HIPAA authorization allows parents to access their child’s medical records and communicate with healthcare providers about their child’s health.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *