Planning for the Elderly

Planning for Care

It is equally important to plan for one’s care when one becomes elderly or disabled. We counsel clients on how to deal with legal issues related to a spouse or family member who has become disabled or who has diminished capacity. We will assess whether some form of legal action should be taken to allow someone else to manage that person’s health care and assets in a way that will protect all the parties concerned.This may be done through such mechanisms as the division of assets, a power or attorney, a trust, or a court appointed conservatorship.

We will also counsel clients on what actions can be taken to control the degree of medical intervention if they become incapacitated. For instance, a person can direct that his or her life be prolonged by all medical means or that she/he be allowed to die without extraordinary medical intervention. This can be done with a health care directive.

Contact us to iscuss your specific needs and concerns.