In 2020, AB 5 was a big topic of discussion as it narrowed the appropriate use of independent contractors. This year there are two legal actions that loosen the corset of AB5.
AB2257 and PROP 22 exempted app-based delivery and transport companies if certain things are met. AB 2257 recasts and clarifies various exemptions including but not limited to:
- Business to business referral agency
- Professional services
- All sorts of creatives
- Appraisers, insurance underwriters
- Landscape architects
- International exchange programs
- Animal services
- Something I need desperately – salon services. . .
- “specialized consulting services”
The above are all cast in terms of extensive definitions outlined in the law. Thus, it is advisable to consult the law itself and your attorney. For more information, the law is available here: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200AB2257