1. Clarify the parties contracting, is it a business or an individual? Make sure it's the correct name, etc.
2. Nail down essential terms
3. Memorialize them in a way that they're easily understood. Think of it being understandable to a regular person.
4. Include all essential terms to make the contract the only reflection of the agreement.
5. Consider termination provisions
6. How do you want to be given notice of things? The antiquated fax, email. regular mail?
7. Dispute Handling - long process of court, expedited arbitration, or want to try an informal resolution first?
8. Attorney fees - recommend not allowing to recover attorney fees as motivation
9. Editing - sometimes punctuation or a single word can make all the difference. The smallest mistakes can cost you money.
10. Lastly most importantly - make sure it's all in writing...